Released FFW 3.0
FRIENDSHIP SYSTEMS announces the latest release of its FRIENDSHIP-Framework software for the simulation-driven design of complex flow-exposed surfaces. The software features modeling, variation, and optimization engines for CFD-centric design and development.
FRIENDSHIP-Framework 3.0 is a major release with a redesigned interface that features many new tools which enhance ease-of-use and streamline your workflow.
New structure of object tree indicating a typical workflow
New Software Connector
The new software connector window features easy template processing, intuitive drag & drop of exchange data with external CFD codes, and support of additional formats such as OpenFOAM results, VTK, Tecplot, and EnSight Gold. FRIENDSHIP-Framework interfaces with most commercial and in-house CFD codes including: STAR-CCM+, Fluent, CFX, NUMECA products, OpenFOAM, ICON FOAMpro, SHIPFLOW and many more.
New software connector window to integrate with external CFD codes
Also available in version 3.0, the all-new post-processing capability allows users to load 3D field data from their CFD simulations, as well as integrated data, in order to intelligently compare the variants in detail. This allows engineers to not only identify the best designs quickly, but also to study the trade-offs and merits of the various designs with regard to multiple objectives. Furthermore it provides a deeper understanding of the influence of the design variables and greater insight into the product’s behavior. The following visualizations are now directly available in FRIENDSHIP-Framework:
- Surface plots
- Plane cuts
- Vectors, contours, isolines
- Mesh visualization
- 2D plots
- Specialized visualizations (e.g. wave patterns, wakefields)
Duct optimization using advanced parametric sweep transformations in combination with STAR-CCM+
New Geometry Types
The smart CAD modeler allows creation of fully parametric designs, focusing on the most relevant parameters for the automated variation and optimization studies of CFD-centric workflows. The new Sweep Surface and Sweep Transformation make it even easier to create complex internal flow geometries such as ducts, diffusers, and manifolds.
Surface types in FRIENDSHIP-Framework
Merging of Parameters and Design Variables
Existing users of FRIENDSHIP-Framework will also appreciate the new possibility of switching a parameter to a design variable and vice versa, reducing the total number of objects in the project for cleaner object tree structure.
New in version 3.0: Switch between parameter and design variable
Thanks to our Users!
Finally, FRIENDSHIP SYSTEMS has implemented a large set of the fantastic user requests, including:
- New offset surface: Generate surfaces that are normal to other surfaces
- Object creation directly from within the editors (pull-down menu) which speeds up the workflow tremendously
- Multiple object editors that slide in, allowing the user to process several objects at once
- Surface edges and corner points (curves/surfaces) are directly available in the object tree and in the 3D view
- New isometric perspectives for the 3D view
- New control structures for features such as foreach and switch
- Many enhancements to the SSH Resource Manager for easier distribution of CFD computations on cluster systems
- Optional dark workspace (black GUI)
- New icons for a selection of curves and surfaces for a better overview in the object tree
- Improvements for easier and robust creation of closed STL geometries
- New tutorials for beginners
FRIENDSHIP-Framework is used worldwide by many of the world’s leading engineering firms in the maritime and mechanical industries, including: MTU, KSB, Sumitomo Heavy Industries, DSME, Voith, and STX. It is used for the flow-related optimization of ship hulls, turbomachinery components, internal ducts, engine components, aerodynamic bodies, amongst others.
See our product page for more information.