Hi all,

here is a parametric model of a semi-submersible created with CAESES.

I modeled only one quarter and then used two symmetry planes and GL Images to visualize the entire semi-sub. The dimensions can easily be controlled using the parameters and design variables to be found in 'baseline -> semiSubmersible -> parameters'.

There are a few special features in this project:

1) Note that when you change parameter values, e.g. "diameterCol", not only the diameter of the columns will change accordingly, but it will also affect the waist part of the pontoons. That is because there is a built-in constraint in order to keep the displacement fixed by adjusting the design variable "innerHeight". This internal, very simple optimization, can be found in the "Optimization" Tab in your Object Tree.

You can set the target displacement in the scope 'baseline -> semiSubmersible -> hydro'.

2) In order to use Sesam HydroD as a simulation tool, all the surfaces have also been used to create panel meshes. Check out 'baseline -> semiSubmersible -> meshes'.

3) There is a feature called 'ExportToSesam', which exports the meshes in the Sesam-characteristic ".FEM" format.

The project also includes the setup for software connections to Sesam HydroD and PostResp as you can see in the according Software Connectors. Of course the according license is required to run the simulation. The parameter 'maxRelMotion' will then hold the value of the maximum relative motion between the free surface and the platform deck in a given sea-state and can be used as an objective for optimization.

I am currently looking into possible applications for CAESES in offshore design and this is a first attempt. So let me know what you think, I'm looking forward to your feedback :-) Which other parameters do you think I should include?

Cheers,

Jan

post-18-0-58660000-1398257385_thumb.png

post-18-0-58796600-1398257393_thumb.png

post-18-0-85563000-1398257421_thumb.png

post-18-0-08738600-1398257492_thumb.gif

20140423_FFW_HydroD_PostResp.fdb

• Upvote 1